Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Forbidden Planet 50th Anniversary Edition for 14th November 2006. Considered by many the most influential science fiction film ever made until the Star Wars era, Warner are releasing Forbidden Planet in both 50th Anniversary 2-Disc Special Edition and Ultimate Collectors Edition versions. The film, in a new widescreen version, has been digitally transferred from fully restored new film and audio elements. The remarkable electronic soundtrack has been remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1.(R) The 2 Disc Special Edition will be available at $26.99 SRP; the Ultimate Collector's Edition for $59.92 SRP.
A pioneering work whose ideas and style influenced countless cinematic space voyages that followed -- Star Wars, Star Trek, Lost in Space, 2001: A Space Odyssey, among others -- Forbidden Planet is based on Shakespeare's The Tempest and stars Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis, Leslie Nielsen, Warren Stevens, Earl Holliman and Richard Anderson. It also marks the motion picture debut of Robby the Robot. Fred McLeod Wilcox directed the Cyril Hume screenplay.
More than four hours of special features in the 2-Disc Special Edition include commentary, additional scenes, two follow-up vehicles starring Robby the Robot plus three documentaries. Also of special note is the lost footage, which features preliminary takes of various special effects including the space ship and interior and exteriors. Very few people knew of the existence of footage, which, since the '50s, had bounced around to various stock houses and vaults, simply marked as "The Saucer Footage." Star Wars special effects artist Dennis Muran, who had learned of the footage in the '70s, brought it to the attention of WHV which finally tracked it down in New York City.
The Ultimate Collectors Edition keepsake case includes the 2-Disc Special Edition as well as a collectible Robby the Robot replica with moveable limbs, Forbidden Planet and The Invisible Boy reproduction lobby cards portfolio, as well as a Forbidden Planet original theatrical poster mail-in offer.
- Additional scenes
- Lost footage
- Excerpts from The MGM Parade TV Series
- Two follow-up vehicles starring Robby the Robot:
- 1958 MGM feature film The Invisible Boy
- The Thin Man MGM TV series episode Robot Client
- Three documentaries:
- TCM original Watch the Skies!: Science Fiction, the 1950s and Us
- All-new Amazing! Exploring the Far Reaches of Forbidden Planet (featuring new appearances by Leslie Neilsen, Anne Francis, Earl Holliman, Warren Stevens and more)
- Robby the Robot: Engineering a Sci-Fi Icon
- New digital transfer from restored picture and audio elements
- Soundtrack remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1
- Science-fiction movie trailer gallery
- Languages: English & French
- Subtitles: English, French & Spanish (feature film only)
Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.